2021.01 January Assessor’s Report
February 8, 2021/
Green Garden Township Assessor’s January 2021 Report For review at February 8, 2021 Township meeting
Jane Bushong, C.I.A.O. Assessor, Green Garden Township
On-going, standard Assessor tasks/projects
- Appraiser, Real Estate, attorney, county and resident requests.
- Visited new construction sites to apply assessed values as soon as occupancy is complete.
- Data entry into PAMS system: property record card information, Sales, Permits, Appeals, photos, exemption paperwork, correspondence, new construction drawings and inquiries into PAMS.
- Setup local networking with PAMS so both laptops can access the same PAMS database. Data Entry assistant is now able to work concurrently with the Assessor (more efficient).
- Submitted April 2021 – March 2022 budget to board for review and questions ahead of time. Answered budget questions from both Trustees Newton & Dietz. Board will vote on budget at Feb 8th board meeting.
Assessment Values published in local papers
- Each year, Will County SOA office publish each township’s assessed values, which is a statutory requirement for the county.
- Green Garden Township AV’s have always been published in the Farmer’s Weekly.
- Due to Covid and lack of advertisements, Farmer’s Weekly publication is no longer printing the number of papers and are no longer mailing out the papers as they have done in the past. Only those with paid subscriptions will continue to receive this publication. There are limited locations around Will County where residents can pickup a copy of the paper. Farmers Weekly plans on developing a website where residents can access their published information in the future.
Covid-19 considerations change tax payments
- Will County board voted to change the tax payments from 2 payments (typically June & September) per year to 4 payments (June, August, September & November). At this time, this COVID-19 relief will only apply to the 2021 collection period.
- While this change in collection options maybe welcomed by many taxpayers, our taxing bodies will also be affected since some disbursements maybe delayed.
Soft Appeal – now open until May 15, 2021
- If a Green Garden Township taxpayer feels their assessment value is not accurate, they can file a soft appeal by simply completing the form posted on the Green Garden Township website. Complete instructions are also posted. This provides the taxpayer an easy method of working with the Township Assessor directly in determining whether or not their assessed value should be changed. Additional copies are available in the back of the Town Hall.
New home construction permit increase in Green Garden Township over 10 years
- New home construction permits have increased roughly 10 times over the last 10 years, although the Assessor office staff has remained the same.
- Similar increases have also occurred with all construction permits (pole buildings, home additions, detached garages, etc.).
- New construction takes a considerable amount of time and resources for the Assessor’s office to effectively assess and maintain. This is in addition to all of the other tasks which the Assessor’s office is responsible for.
21,737 sf home being built in Green Garden Township
- One of the largest homes in Green Garden Township is under construction in Five Oaks subdivision. Building cost is estimated at 2.5 million and is designed by Savarino Design Construction.
A couple informational opportunities
- For the board, TOI is offering a 4 hour class on The Township Budget process on February 25th. You can sign up on the TOI website.
- For all residents, “ Moving Will County ” through Land Use is offering a virtual public workshop on February 24th at 6pm. For more information, go to movingwilcounty.org.