2020.11.09 Meeting Minutes
GREEN GARDEN TOWNSHIP
NOVEMBER 9, 2020
The meeting was called to order by Supervisor Murday at 7:00 p.m.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
In attendance were Trustees Wagner, Standish, Newton (via conference call), Assessor Bushong, Commissioner Hilliard, Supervisor Murday, Clerk Coffey arrived late.
There was a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting held October 12, 2020 as submitted by Trustee Standish with a second by Trustee Wagner. Voice vote: Motion carried.
PLANNING COMMISSION – Nothing before the Planning Commission, nothing planned for November or December. Chairman Murday looking for replacement, or anyone interested to be on the Planning Commission
HIGHWAY COMMISSIONER’S REPORT – Commissioner Hilliard reported:
● Street lights checked, 6 repaired
● Ditch work: 8201 Bruns, Castle Gate subdivision, & 7333 Pauling
● 3 culverts serviced, 1 removed & replaced
● Patchwork completed: Stuenkel – Harlem to 80th, Dralle – Harlem to Scheer
● Weed & tree control around utility poles completed
● Fixed guard rail on 88th by golf course
● Repaired 14” drain tile
● Completed branch pick up with chipper
● Cleaned creek at Bruns & 88th
● Preventative maintenance on plows & took for safety inspection
● Attended 2 webinars: Long term weather forecasting & Overweight vehicles & Roadway signs
● Participated in Electronic waste program
● Bruns east of 45, Vac truck scheduled to service drain tile November 11th
● Sign repair
● Snow preparations
● Continue ditch work & road improvement 104th north of Pauling, work toward hard surface 2021
● Machine demo for patching
● Hard surface roads planned for 2021: Pauling from Whispering Prairie to 45 & 104th north of Pauling quarter mile
● Reshape ditches on 104th south of Manhattan-Monee
Commissioner Hilliard thanked the Tracy family, who owns Fawn Landscaping, for donating 2 trees & landscaping blocks to the Highway Department.
ASSESSOR’S REPORT –
Appraiser & Real Estate requests:
● Due to continuous mortgage refinancing and new home purchases, these requests are taking up a huge amount of time right now. The goal is that sometime in 2021, home data which is typically requested will be available on-line at the County Supervisor of Assessments website
Board of Review Appeals
● Completed all 2020 appeals. Conclusions may not be known until December or January
PAMS Data Entry
● Continuing to enter all property record card information, sales, permits, appeals, photos,
exemption paperwork, correspondence, new construction drawings, & inquiries into PAMS
TRUSTEE’S REPORT – Trustee Wagner wants to make sure Mrs. Hellriegel receives Don’s partial salary
SUPERVISOR’S REPORT – Nothing noted
NEW BUSINESS – Township is required to set salaries for next term. Set salaries for positions, not persons.
Current salaries: Supervisor-10,500, Clerk-8,500, Assessor-24,500, Trustees-2,500, Road
Commissioner-45,000. Salaries 2012-2016 were: Supervisor-10,500, Clerk-6,500, Assessor-14,500,
Trustees-2,500, Road Commissioner-35,000. Murday stated Supervisor receives 1,000 for being Road District
Treasurer. Newton: Is that paid to you & no one else, nobody else does his job? Murday: Yes. Schultz: Asks about benefits? Response: Health & Retirement for Road District employees only.
Vote on setting salaries for next term
Road Commissioner Salary – current salary 45,000
● Trustee Newton suggested freezing Road Commissioner salary at 45,000 further stating it was only increased this high because it was under Bob’s reign, and if we were to get another Road Commissioner she doubted very much they would have 33 years experience. Trustee Wagner made a motion to set the Road Commissioner salary at 47,500 with a second by Trustee Standish. Voice vote: Motion carried 3-1. Road Commissioner salary set at 47,500.
Clerk Coffey arrived 7:35
Assessor Salary – current salary 24,500
● Trustee Wagner suggests 2,500 increase for Assessor, Trustee Newton suggests 10,000
increase, Trustee Standish suggests increasing the salary to 32,000 a year. Trustee Wagner
made a motion to set the Assessor’s salary at 32,000 with a second by Trustee Standish. Voice vote: Motion carried 4-0. Assessor salary set at 32,000.
Clerk’s Salary – current salary 8,500
● Clerk Coffey stated she felt the Clerk’s salary was fair. There was a motion to keep the Clerk’s salary at 8,500 by Trustee Standish with a second by Trustee Newton. Voice vote: Motion carried 4-0. Clerk’s salary set at 8,500.
Trustee’s Salary – current salary 2,500
● Trustees all comfortable as is. There was a motion to keep the Trustee salary at 2,500 by
Trustee Wagner with a second by Trustee Standish. Voice vote: Motion carried 4-0.
Supervisor’s Salary – current salary 10,500
● Supervisor Murday stated, prior Supervisor Nolan shared salary should be increased. Trustee Wagner suggests 15,000, Trustee Newton comfortable at 10,500, & Trustee Standish suggests 13,700. Murday states he should recuse himself. Thinks 12,000 is fair asking residents their opinion? Residents agree. There was a motion to increase the Supervisor’s salary to 12,000 by Trustee Wagner with a second by Trustee Standish. Voice vote: Motion carried 4-0.
Road District Treasurer Salary – current salary 1,000
● Trustee Newton inquires if this is strictly for Don Murday to do the work? No one else? Murday: Yes. There was a motion to keep the Road District Treasurer salary at 1,000 by Trustee Wagner with a second by Trustee Standish. Voice vote: Motion carried 4-0.
Supervisor Murday stated that he hopes Assessor Bushong & Jim Hilliard run again and get re-elected.
Vote on Appointment of new Trustee to fill vacancy
Murday: Held Special Meeting to conduct interviews, 4 candidates, 3 in attendance tonight, he asks they all remain involved in the township.
● Roll call vote: Trustee Wagner, Ralph Dietz; Trustee Newton, Ralph Dietz; Trustee Standish, Ralph Dietz; Supervisor Murday, Ralph Dietz. Motion carried 4-0. Ralph Dietz appointed Trustee.
● Oath of Office administered by Clerk Coffey. Congratulations to Ralph.
December meeting to vote on Levy
OLD BUSINESS – Murday: Water flow issue & Comprehensive Plan, I will finish before we bring someone on the Planning Commission.
PUBLIC COMMENTS – None
There was a motion to adjourn the meeting by Trustee Wagner with a second by Trustee Standish. Voice vote:
Meeting adjourned at 8:12 p.m.
Susan Coffey, Clerk